Mr A Cornish
Miss L Thomas
Welcome to the Year 5 class page.
I'm Mr Cornish, the class teacher.
In Year 5 I champion a love for learning through immersing the children in a broad and engaging curriculum. I champion positivity and perseverance, teamed with high expectations to support successful learning. Children are encourage to be resilient and independent throughout all challenges.
The teaching in Year 5 is designed to allow children to think constructively and critically about the topics we cover in our curriculum and to allow them to develop their own reasoning and rationalisation. Our Year 5 curriculum is designed to broaden your child's knowledge and skills across a range of topics and provides them with every opportunity to know and remember more. Please see the curriculum zone for more information.
I am passionate about reading and encourage every child to find a love of books through daily class reading. Our Year 5 library is full of imagination and knowledge with a range of books for every child. Through regular reading, your child will be able to engage wholly with the Year 5 curriculum, to open up more opportunities for success.
Year 5 is supported by our Teaching Assistant, Miss Thomas.
- We start the day with Maths, where children review their previous learning and complete activities that warm up their brains before engaging with new concepts and problem solving.
- Following this is our English lessons where we focus on strengthening the understanding of existing and new spellings and further developing reading comprehension skills through a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts. We finish our English lesson with Writing, which is focused on a weekly genre that enriches your child’s knowledge and skills for writing with tailored grammar and punctuation input.
- Our afternoons consist of Science, History, Geography, Art and Design Technology at the start of the week. And we finish the week with PSHE, RE, French, Music and Computing.
- Wednesday is PE day. All children are required to come to school in full PE kit.
- Thursday is swimming. All children are required to wear appropriate swimming clothing and a swimming cap.
Going the extra mile for success
All home support is hugely appreciated and makes a positive impact on your child's learning opportunities. Please support your child by ensuring they read at least 5 times a week, with 5-10 pages per night. Please bring diaries/books into school daily and use diaries to communicate with me throughout the week.
Homework is set each Friday on Spelling Shed and TT Rockstars. If you prefer paper copies, please let me know.
We are running the 'Walk to School' scheme, children receive badges for taking part and increasing their fitness. If you have to drive your child to school, they can still achieve an active badge by parking at the shops and walking the remaining distance.
If you have any questions about your child’s learning, please contact me on email@example.com